The Colorado Department of Education worked with a variety of stakeholders, including the Colorado Education Association, to design, develop and pilot the Colorado State Model Evaluation System.
The development of the system was guided by recommendations by the State Council for Educator Effectiveness (with three CEA representatives). Five key priorities emerged in the design of the system and its rubrics:
- Data should inform decisions, but human judgment will always be an essential component of evaluations
- The implementation and evaluation of the system must embody continuous improvement.
- The purpose of the system is to provide meaningful and credible feedback that improves performance.
- The development and implementation of the evaluation systems must continue to involve stakeholders in a collaborative process.
- Educator evaluations must take place within a larger system that is aligned and supportive.
Learn more by downloading the fact sheet for the Colorado State Model Evaluation System.
NEA Policy Statement, Teacher Evaluation & Accountability (May 2011) - NEA sets forth criteria for the types of teacher evaluation and accountability systems necessary to ensure a high quality public education for every student.
CDE has the educator rubrics and associated quality standards available for download for school employees in the following 11 categories:
- Rubric for teachers
- Rubric for principals and assistant principals
- Rubric for school audiologists
- Rubric for school psychologists
- Rubric for school nurses
- Rubric for school physical therapists
- Rubric for school occupational therapists
- Rubric for school counselors
- Rubric for school social workers
- Rubric for school speech language pathologists
- Rubric for school orientation and mobility specialists
Evidence of Artifacts
In a partnership with Cherry Creek Education Association and CEA, teachers created examples of artifacts that may be used as evidence to support their practice. Teachers are encouraged to download and reference the following documents to help demonstrate mastery of and pedagogical expertise in the content they teach.