History of Colorado Education Association

CEA Building History picture

The Colorado Education Association (CEA) is a voluntary membership organization of more than 35,000 K-12 teachers and education support professionals, higher education faculty and support professionals, students preparing to become teachers, and retired educators. Association membership is open only to public education employees.

Founded in 1875, CEA works collectively to provide the best public education for every student. We promote quality public education and advocate for the professional interests of public education employees. CEA has led statewide advocacy efforts in recent years to restore adequate funding to Colorado public schools and to emphasize time for learning and teaching in the classroom above excessive standardized testing.

CEA is a state affiliate of the National Education Association (NEA), America's oldest and largest organization dedicated to advancing the cause of public education. Founded in 1857, NEA proudly claims affiliates in all states with more than three million members who work at every level of education, from pre-schools to universities.

CEA Headquarters is located at 1500 Grant Street in Denver’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. The building was originally a Silver State Savings and Loan. CEA purchased the property for $750,000 when our Board of Directors decided CEA needed to own rather than rent office space. The building was gutted, designed and renovated from the ground up with a $2.1 million renovation loan and opened for business Aug. 21, 1995.