Support in the Workplace and at Home
Educators rely on our Association for legal support in the workplace, but we can also assist in when you need legal advice in your personal affairs.
One very popular program is the CEA-NEA Attorney Referral Program, providing you and your family with affordable access to legal help for personal matters.
CEA-NEA member gets two free 30-minute consultations on personal legal issues during each membership year (Sep 1 – Aug 31). If you need help beyond this, the program gives you legal assistance at rates well below participating attorneys’ usual fees. Active Members (teachers and education support professionals) and Retired Members and the member’s spouse and dependent children are eligible.
CEA and NEA have secured attorneys in Colorado and throughout the U.S. to participate in the program at substantially reduced rates. During the two free consultations, you can get legal assistance in five core areas at a 30 percent discount off the normal fee at any time in nearly 40 states.
- Wills and Estates – Wills, estate planning, help for estate executors or administrators, guardianship proceeding
- Real Estate – Purchase or sale of residential property, landlord disputes, property line controversies, zoning laws and land use regulation
- Domestic Relations – Annulment, divorce, separation; alimony, custody, child support, guardianship, adoption, and paternity; name changes
- Consumer Protection – Disputes with creditors or finance agencies; proceedings with retailers about defective merchandise
- Traffic Violations – Charges of operating under the influence, reckless driving, or offenses involving potential loss of license, jail sentence, and financial liability in excess of $50
Our Association is committed to having only qualified, competent attorneys in our Attorney Referral Program. Before attorneys can help our members, they are approved by both NEA and CEA. They must agree to provide service at convenient times outside education employees’ normal work days, discuss fees before they provide services, and accept payment by installment payment plans.