TITLE: Communications Director
CENTER: Center for Organizing (Communications)
PHONE: 303-837-1500, ext. 143
LIST OF CORE RESPONSIBILITIES
- CEA Journal editor
- Media queries and outreach
- Writing support for press releases, letter to editor, speeches, etc.
- Publishing support for newsletters, flyers, advertisements, etc.
- Publicity for Read Across America, American Education Week, Teacher Appreciation Week
- Leader/member media training and media outreach support
- Photo/video support at Association events
- Staff CEA-Retired Representative Council liaison & communications
Mike was born into a Navy family, growing up in Connecticut, California and Hawaii. He stayed with the military, joining the Army out of high school and retiring 24 years later at the rank of Master Sergeant. Most of his career was spent in Army Public Affairs with several assignments at American Forces Network (AFN) television-radio stations in Germany, Italy and Korea, and the Defense Department's broadcast "NewsCenter" in Washington, D.C. Mike supported the intial start-up of the Digital Imagery & Video Distribution System (DVIDS), created after 9/11 to make military media feeds and products available to civilian media outlets. In his last assignment, he deployed to Tikrit, Iraq with the 25th Infantry Division, running the media embed program for the northern region of the country.
Mike and his wife and two daughters moved to Colorado in 2010, partly because they never had an assignment at Fort Carson and always heard in Army circles what a great place it is to raise a family. He started working at CEA in 2011 to promote the work of member educators and advance the Association's mission to provide the best public education for every student. Mike earned his Master's and Bachelor's degree with University of Maryland University College (UMUC) and completed several military communication courses at the Defense Information School (DINFOS).